Why Choose ASGCA?
ASGCA membership signifies that a golf course architect has acquired the training, experience and project mass to be considered an expert in the field of golf course architecture. These strict membership requirements are recognized by private and public agencies throughout the industry as the highest professional standards in golf course design.
ASGCA architects come from varying backgrounds, with training in landscape architecture, civil engineering, environmental studies, agronomy, golf course construction and professional golf, to name a few. Our members are trained to lead projects and understand the economic and environmental demands of development today, which requires knowledge in a variety of disciplines.
- Complete a 2-year application process, including peer-review of work
- Have a minimum eight years’ experience practicing golf course architecture
- Design a minimum of five, 18-hole new golf courses (or approved equivalent renovations)
- Be sponsored by three active members who can vouch for character, integrity and skill
- Abide by the ASGCA’s standards of professional practice and a stringent Code of Ethics
- Landscape Architecture / Land Planning
- Environmental Knowledge
- Civil Engineering
- Agronomy & Turf Management
- Heavy Construction
- Plans & Graphic Production
- Construction Documents and Specifications
- Cost Estimating
- Public Speaking
ASGCA and its members continue to embrace social media in new and exciting ways, leading the conversation about current events affecting the industry, showcasing members’ projects and clients, and spreading the word about golf architecture and its many virtues.
“By Design” magazine, the showcase publication for course design within the golf industry, details the collaborations of ASGCA members and their clients to better the game of golf worldwide. More than 29,000 industry decision makers receive each issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
When should I call or hire a golf course architect?
Why should I hire an ASGCA member rather than a non-member architect to design or remodel my golf course?
How do I decide which golf course architect to hire?
Why do I need a golf course architect when I can remodel my layout myself?
A golf course architect has specialized experience and skills that encompass the many challenges of taking golf course projects, whether new design or remodels, from concept to reality. Please visit our New Course Design and Remodeling sections for an in-depth discussion on the qualifications and the process that ASGCA architects can bring to your project.