Born in Surrey, England, William H. Tucker Sr. started his interest in golf architecture by learning the art of sod rolling by his father, who was an employee for the Wimbledon Commons. He also worked as a golf professional and on course construction crews before emigrating to the United States at the age of 24.
Once Tucker arrived to the United States, he and his brother Samuel formed an equipment firm known as Tucker Brothers, and their hand-made clubs were sold for many years. After the partnership broke up, Tucker was hired by club member Harry Tallmadge for the design and construction of a new course and to serve as greenkeeper. That project sparked Tucker’s career, who then laid out several other courses in the New York area.
In the 1920’s, Tucker and his son, William H. Tucker Jr., established full-time golf architecture and course construction firms. Tucker estimated that he had designed or remodeled over 120 courses in his career.
Tucker was elected as an ASGCA member in 1947 and served as a member for seven years until his death in 1954.