A literature review conducted by the Walker Research Group revealed these numbers supporting the health and wellness benefits of golf:
- Calories burned:
- playing 18 holes and riding = 1,300
- playing 18 holes, walking and using a pull cart = 1,500
- playing 18 holes, walking and carrying your clubs = 2,000
- A walked 18-hole round = 5 mile walk and meets the 10,000 steps per day guideline for exercise recommended by most medical and clinical physicians.
- Since walking is biomechanically more efficient than running, walking an 18-hole round of golf is roughly equivalent to a 3.5 to 4 mile run.
- Exercise intensity and energy cost of playing 9 holes = 40 minutes of lawn mowing for adult men.
- Walking three 18-hole rounds per week provides enough exercise for weight maintenance for all ages.